Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Metamorphosis of Morgan

Just 18 months ago I was waiting patiently...ok not so much...for my little squirming squid person to emerge and gift me with a big smile and lots of funny noises. I couldn't wait for my ultrasounds to show me how my little one had grown and changed, moving from what appeared to be a black eyed pea, then a sea monkey, then an alien, and finally something recognizable as a little boy. It seemed like in a brief amount of time he had bloomed like a little flower.

Today Morgan had his first hair cut, thanks to Mrs. Armstrong's ninth and tenth grade Cosmetology classes, and I once again watched my little son change right before my eyes. Like most mommies, I'm convinced that my children are the most beautiful, intelligent, and special imps on the face of the Earth. Every little milestone is a celebration. With my twin sons on vacation with Daddy, my little one and I have spent tons of q-time together today. I made him a special breakfast with whole wheat pancakes, sliced fruit eyes, and a bacon mouth. Yes it's smiles all over for my littlest angel.

Today probably wasn't the best day to schedule a milestone. Really it wasn't. I've had the battle of the tonsils raging in my throat most of the week and unfortunately it's taken its toll. My energy level is nonexistent, but Morgan is as Morgan always is. Beautiful, happy, and full of energy. Like most moms, I tend to push myself well past my comfort level to tend to the short people in my life. So today didn't start out with the same smiley face that Morgan had for breakfast.

Nonetheless, the day progressed with much playing, reading, and pretending to be the mommysaurus that makes little boys run, squeal, and giggle. We spent a lot of the day hanging out together and watching Dead Like Me while he napped beside me. I have to say I spent most of the time looking at him more than the series. Morgan has wonderful coloring and full round cheeks. He smiles in his sleep often and has a habit of reaching out for mommy's hand every chance he gets. It's moments like this that make the drudging out of bed in the morning well worth it. He has this wonderful, very fine, silvery blond hair that is beginning to take on a hint of copper. When he was born he was nearly bald. He had very fine sprigs of stark white hair all over his head. Even his brows were white. In fact they were so pale I didn't think he had lashes or brows for several months. It took even longer for his hair to come in. Once it did though, it came in beautiful, straight, and shimmering. I dreaded the moment when I would have to take him to a barber to cut his hair.

My twins had long hair from birth. Long dark curling locks that made everyone ask if they were girls. They had their first hair cut before we left the hospital. I still have their first curls labeled and carefully framed in their scrapbook. Morgan's hair was down to his shoulders. Time for the inevitable chopping of the hair. And so the obligatory BK burger, fries, and favorite sippy cup made their appearance.

The first cut is always the worst. It's no different in any aspect of life and certainly not when you're starting a hair cut, especially your child's. But Morgan was happy and busily chirping back at Diego and his baby dinosaur when the snipping began. It took all of ten minutes.

In those short moments my little toddler went from being a new runner to a little boy. He's no longer my baby. He's now officially on his way to growing up. It seemed like so much had happened in the moments it took me to snip his hair, layer it, and brush it off. In a few months he'll be potty trained and on his way to toddler school. Then pre-k. Then another first day of school. All of it baby steps that seem to happen too quickly.

There's a lot of mixed feelings there. Sadness versus pride I suppose. On the one hand it's just a hair cut but on the other it's another step to independence. One day my little butterfly is crawling along a leaf and the next he'll fly away to make his own path in the world. Until then, I try to keep track of every little thing. I don't want to miss a moment. So much changes in just seconds.

3 comments:

  1. awww he is growing and growing. lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know love when I didnt see him for two weeks. I came over he was walking running and doing so many dif new things. It is sad to see them grow but trust me when you see what they become it is all worth it. Your a wonderful mom dear Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know seeing our little ones grow. It is hard watching them grow up and sometimes just wish they can stay tiny forever, but this is a learning process as parents too. Gigi got her hair cut around Morgan's age and just got a official trim and her hair shaped up about two weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete